Saturday, June 16, 2012

Stand Out...


Matthew 25:40 -  And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

First I just want to say I love our church.  We have such an amazing church family that has adopted us in during our stay here in the NYC.  This morning while I should have been sleeping I had the Tye Tribbett song "Stand Out" blaring in my mind.  I love love love this song.  Not to mention you can burn a quick 300 calories getting your dance on to it.  That's my jam. Lol!  But while Tye is talking about not conforming to this world in the area of compromising our beliefs and standing for the truth, the Lord kept hitting me with something else.  How much would we Stand Out if we truly reflected the love of Christ?

My grandmother was rushed back to the hospital Thursday afternoon.  It's been an emotional time for our family.  But what has made it easier is the love of Christ reflected through our church family.  The phone calls, text messages and emails of encouragement and prayers have been a true blessing.  But that's not all that they've done.  One member called me immediately after finding out and just prayed with me.  She, in the middle of her day, just dropped everything and just engaged in battle for my grandmother and for our family.  We both cried and prayed and cried and prayed.  I'm so thankful for her and the reflection of Christ love that she is.

Another one of our church members had let us know that if we needed her to watch the girls call her at any time.  It did not matter when.  Roger and I ended up having to leave for the hospital at midnight Friday morning.  So when we called she went right into action.  She got dressed and with nook in hand she was getting in her car at midnight (yes she had to work the next morning) to come and sit with our kids.  Just so Roger and I could be at the hospital with grandma.  The love of Christ.  

Another church member, who had been calling, texting and praying with us through out the day, called right before Roger and I left for the hospital and asked if we could pick her up on the way.  She wanted to be there with us.  I did mention that it was midnight right?  We did pick her up and she sat with us till almost 4 am.  Again, the love of Christ.

Another church member called Friday morning and simply offered to drive my mother where ever she needed to go for the day.  She sat with her at the hospital.  Gave my mom and grandmother some great laughs.  Went shopping for my grandmother.  Brought her a smorgasbord of food.  Then took my mother to run a few errands after leaving the hospital.  Once again, The love of Christ

But even in the midst of this all the phone calls, text messages and emails never stopped.  Still, The love of Christ.  I had many experiences in my life but this week will be unforgettable.  Yes, partly because of the emotion that comes with watching my grandmother transition  and being here to actually experience this with her.  But also because of the actions of the people I have listed above.  That's a life of surrender.  That's a life of obedience.  That's a life that desires to truly reflect Christ love.

I remember telling someone last week that I love how when we get out of church we stand in the street saying our goodbyes and kissing, hugging and saying our I love you's too each other.  The church is in a perfect location.  People are always on the street, standing on the corners or driving past.  They see all this going on.  The church "Stands Out".  Seeing the outpouring of love for each other makes them "Stand Out".  As well as the outpouring of love shown to people as the church members walk down the street and say hello and engage in conversation makes them "Stand Out".  The love of Christ is a life changing love.  That combined with the body of Christ in action is a beautiful thing.  So don't be afraid to "Stand Out".  We are called to do so.  Matthew 5:14-16 - “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  

So do not conform,  do not compromise but in all things Serve Well and Love Well.  A life lived for, and reflective of Christ will always...

Stand Out...

No comments:

Post a Comment