Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Character...

This past Sunday I was having a conversation with my mom a little after 1 in the morning.  One of those discussions about the Lord where your discussing one thing and suddenly your discussing something completely different. It's almost as if you are listening to yourself speak because the words are coming out before you feel you've even been given a chance to think them up.

Here's what ended up being said.  Sometimes our spiritual life hits points where we are functioning out of discipline as opposed to desire.  Discipline doesn't mean that the love is gone, it just means the the warm fuzzy feelings, for right now, are.  

Sometimes, while rare, I don't feel like focusing on being a mom. Sometimes I just feel like focusing on me.  I don't want the responsibility this day of anyone else apart from myself.  I don't want to have to think.  I just want to be off duty.  But just because that's what I feel it does not mean that I'm not going to get up and teach my kids, cook their meals, do their laundry or anything else to care for them this day.  It's just a day that I have to function out of what I know to do instead of what I feel like doing.

It also doesn't mean that I'm not functioning out of a heart of love, because I'm doing so out of discipline as opposed to desire. I also said to my mother that I believe that God honors both and possibly honor's discipline more.  It's easier to do something when the feeling is right, but to do what's right and what you know to do even when everything around you is screaming not to.  When the circumstances don't make sense.  When you can't see the forest for the trees.  When you feel like your the only one still in love and all the others have gone silent.  In that moment of discipline lies the developing of Character...

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Love this. So much truth packed into one paragraph there in the end. It's one of the hardest times as well as the most rewarding times. Strength and faith do not always come easy.

    Thank you for sharing and stepping on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girlie. Always appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your honesty here. Well written and the ending was very captivating. "In that moment of discipline lies the developing Character... "

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your blog from yesterday and today I must say I'm glad you'r on God's side.

    Reading your blog reminds me having talks around the table with someone who is speacial and also loves the Lord it is good as reading a wonderful empowering book; the treasure is there but it doesn't reveal itself until you explore;explore through conversation or reading.

    I believe good treasure, profitable treasure is deposited in one who is seeking God, Jehovah God for whatever their reason. God will deposit good treasure. Why must we develop patience? We need it to explore the good treasure inside of us and others that takes patience.

    Good treasure (God is good)is found in of course love but also in the arts:music, writing, the art of conversation, paintings, dance,drawing, etc.

    I say all this to say keep having those talks around the table, reading those empowering books and writing these awsome blogs. I'm not in a great place today but God gave me some good profitable treasure for my soul today.

    The Blessings

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete